Volunteers: the hub of the ride
Volunteering on Cycle Queensland is about camaraderie, teamwork, friendship and fun. Join our crew and take delight in making the state's largest recreational cycling tour happen.
In 2012, 93.5% of volunteers were very satisfied or satisfied with their experience on Cycle Queensland.
Volunteers are the people that keep the wheels of Cycle Queensland turning. There's a role to suit just about everyone and it's a great way to learn new skills, meet new people and have fun. Most volunteers are full-time but part-time positions are available for those who also want to ride.
Full-time volunteers come on the event for FREE while part-timers get a substantial discount on entry fees.
Below we've answered some questions about volunteering for CQ13:
- Why Volunteer?
- Volunteering is free and fun (we transport & feed you on the event)
- The satisfaction and smiles at the end of the day
- Experience regional Queensland
- Meet new friends
- Learn new skills
- Be part of the adventure - without riding
- Types of volunteers
Anyone aged 18 or over, physically able to look after themselves and perform the tasks required. People with all sorts of skills are required, however, you don't need to have any special qualifications for most teams. We look for people who are friendly, positive, self-motivated and who show initiative.
- Are exempt from event entry fees
- Do not ride in the event and are available for the full duration of the ride
- Are on duty approximately 8 hours each day
- Are required from Day 1 until the end of Day 8. Some volunteers by special arrangement are needed for 1 or 2 days before and after the event - please advise your availability
- Are transported to & from the event at no cost (including flights from Brisbane to Cairns return). Conditions apply.
Riding (part-time) volunteers:
- Are those who wish to ride in Cycle Queensland but want to devote some of their spare non-riding time in helping out with volunteer tasks
- Pay the full entry fee. A refund of up to $200 is paid after the event, upon satisfactory completion of assigned tasks
- Work up to 3 (typically only 2) hours each day for a total of 16 hours. This may be in the morning, afternoon or evening
- Must be fit enough to cycle and work in the same day
- Are rostered to allow for cycling activities. Part-time positions are limited and only available for a few teams
- How does it work?
- All volunteers are placed in a team for the event and assigned to a Team Leader
- Tell us which teams would suit you best and we will try to place you accordingly
- Start and finish times vary, but you are generally on duty for 8 hours each day
- You can attend briefing sessions before the ride to get all the information you will need
- You are covered by our insurance
- Campsites are smoke-free environments
- What do you get?
- A great experience
- Two Cycle Queensland 2013 volunteer polo shirts
- Hat, water bottle and sunscreen
- All meals (including lunch on the rest day)
- Transport to and from the event including flights from Brisbane to Cairns return (full time vollies only - conditions apply)
- "TLC Camping" (tent supplied and put up for you) for "early-bird" volunteers - More information on TLC
- Dedicated volunteer luggage truck
- Invite to the volunteer party and other great rewards
- Bikes ... BYO helmet so you can use our small fleet of bikes to explore the towns in your leisure time
- Photo DVD of the ride (inc over 400 hi res images plus riders and crew)
- How do I get there?
You can get to the start and home again by road, rail or air. Scheduled services in combination with our charter services and specially arranged car parks make the journey hassle free. Have a look at the Getting There and Back info sheet for some great travel options.
Full time volunteers can travel for free on any of the event transport listed on the application form – all you need to do is get yourself to the departure point. Flights from Brisbane to Cairns (return) have been booked for volunteers.
If you are driving to the event you are welcome to use the Cairns car park but will need to pay the same as the riders. Please remember, you cannot bring your own vehicle on the event unless specifically agreed with the Event Coordinator in advance.
Riding Volunteers will need to make their own way to the event and need to complete their transport options on their ride entry form.
During the event, there is a special area set aside for volunteer camping. Bring your own tent or apply early to secure the TLC camping option.
To make things a little more comfortable for volunteers, we are offering TLC camping (availability is limited). We will supply a tent, put it up for you in the volunteer camping area each day and pack it up the next morning. This will free you to spend more time relaxing and enjoying all there is to offer on the campsite and around town. TLC camping is available to volunteers who sign up before 31/05/13 unless it is filled before this date.
You will still need to bring a sleeping mat and sleeping bag. To make sure as many volunteers as possible get to take advantage of TLC Camping, you need to share your tent with one other person. You can team up with a friend or we'll match you up with a tent buddy (same gender and age group). We have larger tents available for volunteers with tall and/or large bodies. Of course, you can still bring your own tent if you prefer to go it solo.
- How do I become a volunteer?
Apply to become a Cycle Queensland volunteer online or by downloading the application form (coming soon).
There will be briefings in the month before the ride with information for confirmed and potential volunteers.
Sign up early to be eligible for TLC camping (31/05/2013).
- I've Applied - What happens next?
After you've applied we will send an acknowledgement of the application. We will then assess your application - we may contact you as part of this assessment. Confirmation of acceptance will occur as soon as we have definitely placed you in a team. There will be a volunteer briefing in Brisbane and Far North Queensland in the months before the ride. If you need to confirm leave or travel arrangements before you receive a confirmation then please let us know. Volunteers will be supplied with a Handbook and event specific details before the event.